Going up a ladder to clean the roof and gutters is not a chore most homeowners look forward to doing. Or maybe some are too busy to even notice a clogged downspout. But if homeowners put value in protecting their home investments, they should not overlook the importance of a clean gutter.
Here, we listed the top 5 reasons why cleaning gutters is a must:
- To avoid basement leaks and faulty bases. Clogged gutters can be blamed for water problems in the basement. If the water from the roof overflows and isn’t properly drained, it gathers around the foundation and expands when frozen. This causes cracks, which can lead to crawl space or basement flooding.
- To avoid cracks in the driveways. If the gutters and downspouts are not properly cleaned, this can cause water blockage, which may lead to sagging driveways.
- To avoid exterior damage in your home. Once your clogged gutters are full of water and other debris, they become tremendously heavy, which can lead to bending or breaking. This is an eyesore and can reduce curb appeal.
- To avoid setting up a habitat for insects and animals that feed on wood. Once the gutters are congested, lack of cleaning can cause water to build up in parts obstructed by debris. Since wood-destroying bugs and insects love moisture, this condition only hastens their breeding and wrecking over time.
- To save money and time. Regularly cleaning your gutters will help you monitor what needs repairing and replacing over time. This can even save you from spending on gutter replacements and major repairs. But keep in mind that if you find that your gutters need expert help after a full assessment, consider getting in touch with Washington DC gutter repair companies if you live in the area.
We hope this was able to shed some light as to why you should keep your gutters clean. If gutter problems are beyond home repair, it is always best to consult with trusted companies that specialize in gutters in Washington DC. Call us today for a free evaluation and quote.